In light of a Meteorite hitting Russia Friday, and an Asteroid scheduled to pass by earth today, it seems timely to discuss what would you do in an emergency? If you are not directly hit, how can you help your family and others until supply chains are restored. The following suggestions are powerful tools to help you as you consider how to be more prepared. Check out I’m an Organizing Junkie for her list of items to stock your pantry with (pictured to the left)
|I love this idea from Bead Bee. Have young kids wear a bracelet with your cell phone number on it whenever going to a large public area or amusement park. If you don’t have one of these for them to wear, consider writing your number on their hand with a pen or magic marker.
|Important Information Binder from One of a Kind|
- Keep a months supply of food on hand at all times. I do this already because it’s frugal and smart to buy things on sale and keep meal supplies on hand. My pantry is stocked and my freezer is full. Be sure to stock things like beans, rice, peanut butter, flour, sugar, applesauce, canned fruit and vegetables, etc. A pantry stocked with cookies, chips and TV dinners is not going to get you very far.
- Have emergency rations in the basement. In case you are trapped in the basement for any length of time, think about what you would need.
- Keep a supply of bottled water or jugs of water. You never know when you may need this for drinking or even just brushing your teeth in light of a power outage.
- Have a family plan in place. Talk with your kids about where to go and what to do if emergency alarms go off or natural disaster is upon you.
- Keep emergency gear in your car.
- Road flares, blankets, matches, bottled water, first aid kit, peanut butter crackers or other non-perishable food items that would fit in the glove compartment or under a seat.
- Keep important documents organized. Make it easier on your family or friends if something were to happen to you. Organize important financial documents, life insurance, health insurance, will, etc. Have these somewhere safe and tell a trusted individual where to find them. If you have not put a will together, do it now! Go through a lawyer, of if nothing else write up a document and have it notarized.
- Other things you may want… If your town was in a panic and the shelves at your local super market were bare, what would you wish you had stocked up on? For me it would be simple over the counter medications like ibuprofen and antihistamines for our family’s allergy issues. Does your family have food allergies or other special considerations? You may already have thought about those things, but if not, get going!