DQ Ice Cream Cake Recipe

Copycat Dairy Queen Ice Cream Cake Recipe

I Looove Dairy Queen Ice Cream Cake! But, it’s fairly expensive.
Here is the recipe I’ve used, quite a few times, to recreate the goodness:

What You Need

1. 1 Package Oreo Cookies or Store Brand Chocolate Cookies
  2. 1 Container Vanilla Ice Cream (or flavor of your choice)
  3. 1 Container Chocolate Ice Cream (or flavor of your choice)
  4. 1 Cup Chocolate Syrup, Hot Fudge or Magic Shell (enough to coat crumbs and turn into a thick “goo” that is easily spreadable)
  5. 1 Container Frozen Whipped Topping
  6. 1 Spring Form Pan (for easy removal!)
  7. 1 Tablespoon Butter

1. I started with the super cheap pails of chocolate and vanilla ice cream. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend this, as it doesn’t taste all that great. But hey, it’s up to you to use whatever you like!

style="display:block"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-4924731485471667"
data-ad-slot="7309144554"
data-ad-format="auto">

2. Begin by letting the ice cream soften. Butter the bottom and sides of your pan, then spread a thin layer of vanilla ice cream on the bottom and sides, all the way to the top.

3. Spread a layer of chocolate ice cream to fill the pan half way up.

4. Fill a plastic bag with Oreo cookies (or store brand), and use a rolling pin to crush them into fine crumbs. You may also try putting them in a food grater or blender. The smaller the crumbs the better! Mix the crumbs with chocolate syrup and spread over chocolate ice cream.
5. Spread a layer of vanilla ice cream over the crumbs, then cover and freeze.
6. Let set out for 10 to 15 minutes then scrape the sides with a rippled or ridged spatula to create a lined look. Put back in the freezer to refreeze.
7. Mix equal parts whipped topping and ice cream and spread over top. Put back in freezer. Let thaw for approximately 10 minutes before attempting to cut.
8. I used the remaining Oreos to sprinkle on top. If you want to write anything on top, I would suggest waiting until ready to serve and use a tube of cream decorators icing, not a jell.
Enjoy! ~Sarah

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Made this for my husband’s Birthday since we are no longer in close proximity to a Dairy Queen. Who knew it could be so easy?? Thank you so much for the recipe. Everyone loved it!

2. Anonymous says

I worked with a girl that worked at dairy queen. She told me to use magic shell with the oreo’s that is what they do. And put a layer of Hot Fudge also.

3. says

Thanks for the tip on mafic shell. I take a can of choc frosting try double choc. I melt it in microwave. Its good because it is easy to spread when it is melted then when the frosting cools down it is solid. I use coolwhip because it freezes better

4. Anonymous says

A thousand thank yous! I haven’t had a chance to follow your receipe yet, but it looks delish! I live near alot of ice cream stores/parlors–Haagan-Daaz, Carvel, Friendly’s, Cold Stone Creamery, Ben & Jerry’s and I’m about a 30-minute drive away from a Dairy Queen, but in these tough economic times, I’m always looking for ways to save money. Thanks again!

5. Anonymous says

I made the cakes at Dairy Queen for many years. They do not use Oreo cookies. They use the cookies from the ice cream sandwiches. They get boxes of crushed cookies and then coat them with the ice cream cone coating. The coating enrobes the cookie crumbs and keeps them crunchy. The build was as follows: Vanilla ice cream on bottom and side, cold fudge (which is different than hot fudge because it stays thick and gooey, coated cookie crumbs and then finished off with either chocolate or vanilla ice cream. The pan had a hole right in the center and a pan liner was put down. After the cake is frozen, quickly dip the pan in hot water, being careful to not get it on the ice cream. Turn the pan over and blow into the hole and the cake pops right out. Ice it like a regular cake with vanilla ice cream and then refreeze it. Decorate and enjoy.

6. Anonymous says

Looks amazing! I’m in charge of making dessert this year for thanksgiving, I think I’ve found my “non-traditional” item to bring. Just a couple of questions, how long does it take to freeze on step 5? And is a 9″ pan suitable?

7. Erin says

I made this last night for my husbands birthday today. Definitely a hit! Our 2 year old was so excited for cake, then even more so when he realised it was ice cream! Thanks for the SIMPLE recipe! :)

8. Chels says

Can i make this the day before my party or should I wait til the day of?
    Thanks for the recipe, I’m looking forward to trying it out with buttering error candy bars…

9. Kimberly L says

This is my favorite cake for my birthday but there is sadly no DQ near me since I moved about 3 years ago. So thank you so much! I used to work at DQ and this is pretty spot on to how they make the cakes, except they have the ice cream come out from the maker and they turn it on a lazy daisy type wheel as they smooth it out. Cool whip mixed with hot chocolate powder from a packet tastes almost like DQ chocolate soft serve, if anyone misses that ice cream. Love your blog.

• says

Thanks so much Kimberly!! I’m always excited to hear insider tips on how to make it the real way! So the big difference is that DQ uses soft serve for the cake?? Going to have to try the hot chocolate tip too!! :)

Trackbacks